Sex And The Tri-Cities

"The Picture Does Not Make Me As Good Looking As I Know I Am!" -CJO

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween - Ahhh The Memories!

I remember when I was a kid I loved Halloween! It was not only for the candy (which me and my sister shared), it was for the dressing up part too!

I had a couple of memorable costumes. Shortly after the video release of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (I was probably in grade 3 or 5) I went as the Grim Reaper (sp?). Looking back on that choice now, I realize that for a female of that age it was a little demented and my Mum was rightfully concerned at the time. One year when I was much younger, I went as the 80's toddler toy fad the "Hug-A-Bunch". I was the one with the purple hair and wore my snowsuit under the plastic smock sold as the costume. Everything about the costume was plastic except for the purple curls and by the end of the night the costume was ripped.

Despite those clever ideas, other years were pretty lame - cats, clowns, and cowgirls. The one year that I was a clown was because in school I got to go to "enrichment". The whole week was on clowning and I thought I was pretty kick-ass at putting on my own clown make up. I had reason to believe this because the "enrichment" was an entire week of face-painting, honking horns, and smashing a pies into the faces of my peers - good times. By the end of the week I did not feel "enriched" and considered riding a unicycle as a hobby and possible profession!

If only MY mom made me cool Halloween costumes - that would have been jazzy eh TG?!

Nowadays, I have mixed feelings about Halloween. I still like the dressing up but as a potential/future homeowner and potential/future parent (yikes!) I somewhat dislike the trick-or-treating part. Wouldn't it be healthier (for kids) and less expensive (for adults) if there was something else to do? What happened to the tradition of bobbing for apples? Or a community fall fair on Halloween? I don't know, I just think that there has got to be something better for kids to do Halloween night - while they are young anyways. What 6 year old needs all that chocolate and candy?

Tonight TG and I are planning a nice autumn evening walk - for once there will be no snow, sleet, or frigid temperatures to prevent one from enjoying a stroll this time of year. Follow the walk with a nice late dinner and that sounds like a perfect tradition to start - while we are young anyways...!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home